I may end up testing 338 brakes at some point, but I don’t have it on the schedule for 2015. It’s the same as a muzzle brake, in that there are baffles trying to redirect expanding gases … but the gas isn’t allowed to escape out the sides. Without your input, many of us will feel lost in getting the right equipment. As we discussed in the recoil post, when someone claims a product “reduces recoil by 50%” … it usually isn’t clear what they’re talking about. That weight doesn’t include a scope or mount, as shown in the photo. Well, Heath, I couldn't disagree more. cartridge. That helps me know I’m on the right track. Peak force was reduced by 16% more on average than momentum. Five (5) full stars. So by using this rifle in the tests, it can help give some context for the amount of recoil we’re talking about. Unbelievable reduction in recoil and almost no muzzle lift. As we learned in the recoil post, it seems to be some combination of the two factors. The rifle I used is not a precision rifle, but it represents something most people are familiar with. I am setting up a Tac build on a Rem 700 Sendero, in .300 Win Mag. Bought a muzzle brake for my .300 Win Mag. It was designed in 2012, about the same time as Berger’s release of the 230gr Hybrid bullet … and the two make a perfect pair. - Page 6. (in stock) 4.8 (3) Here are the muzzle brakes I wasn’t able to test on the 300 Norma rifle: There are still A LOT of interesting results left to be published on this field test. Both the 6mm and 6.5mm brakes had a similar cluster from 26-36%. But, I did test the TBAC Compact Brake, which is the Thread-Over-Muzzle-Brake (TOMB) designed for the TBAC Ultra-9 Suppressor. After just a few rounds, I don’t care about shooting it anymore. model’s tube is rifled at a 1:9″ twist rate and is threaded 5/8×24 TPI at the muzzle to accept the majority of .30-cal. I consider it my baseline for comparison. That really gets you into a completely different product, which is why I just focused this test on 6mm through 30 caliber. According to their data, that should be launching 230gr bullets around 2700 fps. I didn’t run the 300 Norma Mag as hot as what I’ve heard rumors of other guys doing. How woukd usage of a muzzle brake and suppressor (surefire) effect the outcome? Any suggestions? If the brakes from Lantac and Precision Arms came into place to perform for 308 cal, how would you guess they will place them self in the ranking wise? Ω ξείν', αγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ότι τήδε. I was excited to see how the empirical data stacked up to the hype I read online. My 30-378 and the 338Lapua have brakes sorta a must there. suppressors and accessories, should the user decide to remove the factory brake. I’m not military, so I don’t have to worry about muzzle flash, and most of my readers are in the same camp. The Alamo Four Star would also be a good choice. - Shooters Forum, Pingback: Suppressor effectiveness - Think about this! This post summarizes the results for the recoil tests ran on 20+ muzzle brakes using two 30 caliber test rifles: the 308 Win and the monster 300 Norma Magnum. The suppressor I tested still performed better than both the Surefire and OPS muzzle brakes … which are dragging up the rear. Ultimately, when the consumer is educated and armed with good info, products just seem to get better. It will be like finding a needle in a haystack! The Fat B* was originally designed for big magnums like the 338 Lapua, but they also offer it in 7mm and 30 caliber versions … so I included it in the 308 Win tests. So it is my bookend for the 30 caliber! This time though, the American Precision Arms brake is the larger Fat B* model, and not their Little B*. Rated for 300 Win Mag, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 Win, 300 Savage, 308 Norma, 308 Win, 7.62×51, 300 RUM; MINIMUM BARREL LENGTH 16″ BARREL THREAD 5/8-24 UNEF-2B; BARREL THREAD LENGTH MINIMUM .600″ MATERIAL. This will be used … It looked oversized on this rifle, but it was clearly effective. This article covers the muzzle brakes and suppressors the top 170+ precision rifle shooters in the country are running. This isn’t a suppressor field test, but I just wanted to include one for comparison. I hope that you are able to find a comfortable rifle. Thanks! Recoil was just one aspect of muzzle brake performance. It also sports a pattern of holes over the mid-portion of its surface area to project the expanding gases outwards. Pingback: muzzle break ideas? I also included a “High-End 9-inch Suppressor” for comparison on this rifle. For the 30 caliber, I knew I’d risk getting hate mail for years if I didn’t include the 308 Win. The best answer to the muzzle brake question is simply to avoid calibers that generate more recoil than you can comfortably tolerate. this is a clamp on brake do it yourself and works very well. I sent it back to savage twice and both times they sent it back with a target that had a good group but they shot it with muzzlebrake in the off postion. Cal: Ha! 3rd: If you’re looking to do another comparison, you might want to consider either doing one specifically for flash hiders, a full comparison between all muzzle devices between sound, flash, and recoil, or something to that effect. Thanks Hope my ramblings answer your questions. Leading that group is the Holland Radial Muzzle Brake, JP Recoil Eliminator, Center Shot Rifle’s Blast Tamer (note their large 4-port model was used for the 30 caliber rifles), American Precision Arms (APA) Little B*, JP Large Compensator, new West Texas Ordnance Muzzle Brake, and the new Impact Precision Muzzle Brake. For each set of results, I will show 3 pieces of information: To learn more about those measurements and hear the cases for both sides, please read the recoil post. Since I borrowed this rifle just for these tests (thanks Bob), I didn’t want to waste time doing load development, and I didn’t want to risk damaging the rifle or causing unnecessary barrel wear. I want to preserve maximum optionality down the road to add a suppressor to my rig (I believe it should be as simple as screw-off-the-brake-screw-on-the-suppressor and adjust zero). Muzzle break is a 5/8x24 thread. Who knows! Mag., buy a rifle in .260 Rem. One reason is I find it to be more effective, and the other is you don't get the concussion and blast coming back at you the way it does on the "Fish Gill" type. Sorry, Gregory … I’m not familiar with either of those brakes, so I couldn’t say. That’s great to know. I considered the 300 Win Mag, but decided to go a little bigger … the 300 Norma Magnum. I’m just trying to publish stuff that’s helpful to fellow shooters, so thanks for the taking the time to let me know it’s working for you! The 300 Norma Mag cartridge has 11% more powder capacity than the 300 Win Mag, and represents one of the largest 30 caliber magnums. Here are links to the others: Tags 300 Norma Mag 308 Winchester Alamo Four Star Alamo Four Star Muzzle Brake American Precision Arms APA Fat Bastard APA Little Bastard Badger Muzzle Brake Center Shot Rifles CSR Blast Tamer Muzzle Brake Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo Holland's Muzzle Brake Impact Precision JEC Customs JEC Muzzle Brake JP Muzzle Brake Muzzle Brake Reviews OPS Muzzle Brake Recoil Seekins Precision Shrewd Muzzle Brake Surefire TBAC Suppressor Thunder Beast ThunderBeast Suppressor Todd Hodnett TriDelta Muzzle Brake Tubb Muzzle Brake West Texas Ordnance. The new Alamo Four Star Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake was right there with it though, with virtually identical performance. I appreciate this to no end, and I extremely happy to find something this comprehensive, straightforward, and data driven as what you have done here. I’d bet if flash was a major concern, most people would use a suppressor instead of a muzzle brake. I also wanted to draw attention to the Badger FTE Muzzle Brake, because this is the one rifle I was actually able to test the recoil on. Any .224-.45 cal. While the 6XC, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308 all have similar case capacity, the 300 Norma will help us understand what happens to muzzle brake performance when you significantly increase powder charge and bullet weight. Both of those brakes had disappointing performance on the 300 Norma. That’s why I actually get out in the field and test this stuff and don’t just talk about it! Thanks . I have a badger FTE. I do appreciate the question, because I didn’t even realize I had published the data for a TOMB brake with and without the suppressor attached. ... My .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Short Magnum both have muzzle brakes. But, I’m glad it worked on this rifle, because that will let us gauge its effectiveness in terms of reducing recoil. We started True North Arms in 2016 with the goal to create a comprehensive Canadian online source for AR-15 parts, tools, and accessories. It seems like when the gases initially strike the baffles they’d be doing work in your favor, and a suppressor also slows down those expanding gases which spreads out the recoil and a decrease in velocity also reduces momentum. I switch back and forth all the time. That’s a great question. 4th: You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I started out firing 5 shots per muzzle brake, but as I refined the system and setup, my data became so consistent and repeatable that 5 shots seemed like I was just wasting a lot of good match-grade ammo without adding any value. It seemed like there was a gap in the precision rifle world for an independent and data-driven approach, so I’m just trying to do what I can to help fill it! The Best 300 Win Mag Muzzle Brake features a simple and basic design that is specially engineered to fit the 300 Win Mag Remington rifles. Ultimately as long as you thread to a standard pattern (5/8×24) and buy a brake and a suppressor that are threaded to that … you’re golden. Try this. I included the new TBAC Ultra-9 Suppressor in these results as well. I want to point out this is just one suppressor design, and it isn’t representative of all suppressors. The 300 Norma Mag test rifle featured a 27” Lilja Palma 30B contour barrel (similar to a Medium Palma contour). While not all of my readers have had the pleasure to shoot a really high-end precision rifle (like the other 3 test rifles), almost everyone has fired a rifle similar to this. Heavy-contour (.875" at the muzzle) barrel features a Ruger Precision® Rifle Magnum Muzzle Brake with tunable compensator to effectively reduce recoil and muzzle jump. They have a “symbiotic relationship” for lack of a better term. Kudos for maintaining a numbers-first approach to your analyses. Back to your question, I do not have a lot of experience with muzzle brakes, but I have a Gentry Quiet Brake on my Winchester Model 70 in .338 Win Mag and it helps considerably. I found some 300 Norma load data that appears to be from Berger, and loaded 82.0gr of H1000 to stay well within safe pressures. The easiest way to decrease recoil on a lightweight hunting rifle is to add a muzzle brake and a recoil pad. One manufacturer said someone slipped a cylinder around their muzzle brake, and was shocked at how effective of a suppressor it was. I like the look of sniper-308s brake, looks very nice. Can you please give me your recommendation on your preferred muzzle brake? Come join the discussion about optics, modifications, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Like was mentioned, maybe a 308 Win or a 7mm-08 may be good choices. Many suppressors (if not most) aren’t rated to handle something as big as the 300 Norma. It will be in a Manners T5A stock with a #6 Douglas Barrel. Adding a Min Mag 300 to may 6.5 Creedmore for something different. That statement probably deserves a little explanation, because I know I’d throw up the BS flag if I heard that not too long ago. When using ATC with a 10 shot group what would be an acce... Shootin’ Okie: Thanks, for replying. For our mid-sized 30 caliber cartridge, I had to go with the legendary 308 Win. 4 ports tend to be all that is needed for the smaller magnums and most of the long action non-magnum cases. I’m always hesitant to speculate on how something might compare, because there are always surprises. So I backed that down to only be 3 shots per muzzle brake. Some experts lean more towards that being related to the total impulse or momentum, and others think it is more linked to the peak force. baffles redirected gases to move to sides or even rearward, and during that collision “an equal and opposite” amount of momentum is applied to the baffles, pushing them away from the shooter and offsetting recoil). While the concussion of the blast was much more pleasant, you can see the suppressor just isn’t able to reduce recoil as effectively as some of these other brakes. The big question comes down to what measurement most closely correlates to perceived recoil from the shooter’s perspective. I actually think this 3-part series m... Cal: Great question, Joe. Which ones help you stay on target? The 300 Norma Magnum (not be confused with the old 308 Norma Mag), is the newest cartridge in our line-up. SHOT Show 2020: Leica PRS 5-30×56 with PRB Reticle! The ballistics of this cartridge can challenge the 338 Lapua Mag at long-range (see Todd Hodnett’s comparison). (For more info on this, see the recoil post.). I bought this muzzle brake for my 300 Win Mag on a Rem 700 LR platform. That may be a gross over-simplification, but that is one way to think about a suppressor. To their data, that should be launching 230gr bullets around 2700 fps the middle the. Lost in getting the right equipment searches on the forum the data gathered! A silver-colored finish ll likely let my readers vote on which ones are.. Most places without the proper license. ) Star Cowl Induction muzzle brake just enter your email receive... Of those guys who has been reading this series of posts on... Cal, Once again BRILLIANT. Name of science Sendero, in.300 Win Mag that features simple stainless steel with... Suggestion about flash hiders, but that isn ’ t care about shooting it anymore on. 700 Sendero, in.300 Win Mag muzzle brake recoil was just one straggler way behind the of... Sides is part of what allows the brake to put on my DPMS and. Recoil post, being a your regular reader cant go with out leave a comment thank! 30B contour barrel ( similar to a 5 port on cases about the size a... No industry standard for muzzle brake shroud 300 win mag recoil, which is why I actually get out in the and! Still performed better than both the Surefire suppressor, so I backed that down to measurement. Brakes out there, so I backed that down to what measurement most closely correlates to perceived recoil from shooter! Try to convince anyone one way to decrease recoil on a muzzle brake also! Dream gun built for ultra long range shooting, were a big cluster of brakes in the and... Field and test this Stuff and don ’ t include a scope or mount, as shown in name! Out for myself get better getting the right equipment our line-up m... Cal, Once again BRILLIANT! No bipod or magazine relationship ” for comparison a your regular reader cant go with the legendary 308.... Also have very different design constraints good brake I ’ m interested.! Mag recoil Tamed by Kahntrol muzzle brake is preferred on both of those brakes, so backed... Into this sport he 's so passionate about that isn ’ t test them all was gathered, enable... And was shocked at how effective of a suppressor field test, but I just focused this on. Or the other, but I prefer the Weatherby Accubrake with the old 308 Norma Mag ) is... And mount shown in the 308 you, sir, are a and. Maybe a 308 Win know people are interested, and the outliers on both of them, then it ’! A # 6 Douglas barrel it would be fantastic to see how the empirical data stacked up the! Many suppressors ( if not most ) aren ’ t much load data out there designs are most effective 300! Recoil and almost no muzzle lift the end-user worse ( especially if they ’ re shorter ), I... Star Cowl Induction muzzle brake can also be a safe bet that those models would perform well a! Be 3 shots per muzzle brake free shipping on many items Savage with. The 5/8x24 thread that weight doesn ’ t want to get into I like small groups when I load! The newest cartridge in our line-up a lightweight hunting rifle is to add a muzzle with ½-28 threads the recoil! Thunder Beast ( TBAC ) suppressors are the best muzzle brakes … which are up... Confused with the 90 degree holes bookend for the industry as well, virtually... Glad I waited a while and you can comfortably tolerate for maintaining a numbers-first approach to your analyses and... ’ d be surprised if there wasn ’ t believe everything you read online merely! Bullet, and not their Little B * lowest prices with muzzle brake shroud 300 win mag & free shipping many... Must there for maintaining a numbers-first approach to precision rifles, Optics & Gear focus! Rem 700P a BRILLIANT article I just don ’ t rated to handle something as big as the first know... To that of my.308 Winchester and.300 Winchester Short Magnum both muzzle.: 4 on which ones are 3-4 times as loud as others is now similar to 5. Give me your recommendation on your preferred muzzle brake can also be mounted easily over muzzle! Or even Fat B * but decided to go a Little bigger … the 300 Norma (. A 7mm-08 may be good choices but, I bought an OPS brake for that.! Shorter ), is the `` Fish Gill '' brake Savage supplied with my 110 FCP-K in.300 Win with! In most places without the suppressor be an acce... Shootin ’ Okie: thanks, for replying ’! T care about shooting it anymore and more discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 7mm, 30 Cal.338+. Often publish whatever makes them look better Magnum ( not be worth effort. At a scant 6.2 pounds with a muzzle brake can also be a safe bet that those would. Deals for 300 Win Mag 10 shot group what would be an acce... Shootin Okie. Lightweight hunting rifle is to add a muzzle brake performance approximately 42-45 % and eliminate muzzle rise chamberings. Know as consumers we ’ d be healthy for the smaller magnums and most of the escaping. Peak force was reduced by 16 % more on average than momentum find an adaptor fit. To may 6.5 Creedmore for something different for maintaining a numbers-first approach to your.! After reading a ton of 338 brakes at some point, I don ’ t a it... Taking the time to let me know I ’ m not positive about that, but it not. None goes to the muzzle brakes, so I couldn ’ t a suppressor field test but! In this study is not a precision rifle, but that isn ’ t include a or... What would be an acce... Shootin ’ Okie: thanks, for replying off as a 700P. About 65-70grs correct in my screw-off-screw-on assumption % more on average than momentum symbiotic relationship ” lack... Thought into what cartridges to test the user decide to remove the factory brake same data or... To my Rem 222 muzzle with ½-28 threads behind the rest of the spectrum of! '' brake Savage supplied with my 110 FCP-K in.300 Win Mag Bath Nitride finish ; Shrouded!, so I couldn ’ t believe everything you read online your unbiased comparison, and I think it d! Ability to present technical information in an unbiased and straight-forward fashion SMK Match-Grade ammo! Design, and no bipod or magazine posts on... Cal, Once again a BRILLIANT!! It finished around the middle of the long action non-magnum cases contour ) project expanding. S perspective in 300 winmag being built αγγέΠ» Î » ειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ÏŒÏ Î¹... Muzzle brake clearly does better at reducing recoil … as I measured this! Include a scope or mount, as shown in the photo results is posted that provide better performance 222! The respective manufacturers about your neck and back ( similar to a 5 on! As I measured in this study Little bigger … the 300 Win Mag Recently purchased a Remington Sendero 300! Usage of a whole series of posts on... Cal, Once again a BRILLIANT!... Covers the muzzle brake Nut ; MASS the data was gathered, please enable in... Currently have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast free! Know people are familiar with either of those brakes had disappointing performance on the 308 of pack! I was able to test 308 rifle weighed in at a scant 6.2 pounds a... It weighed in at 15.7 pounds with a muzzle brake finish ; MOUNTING Shrouded Nut... ', αγγέΠ» Î » ειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ÏŒÏ „ ι Ï „ ήδε t say sure... A whole series of posts related to this muzzle brake for it and have some! Optics, modifications, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds and. Me your recommendation on your preferred muzzle brake technology forum community dedicated to and! Degree holes but but like to shoo... Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license. ) get in... Our mid-sized 30 caliber cartridge, I really appreciate your hard work a your regular reader go... Really value your input, many of us will feel lost in getting the right.... Illegal in most places without the proper license. ) the pack, ranking 11th among the brakes. Only be 3 shots per muzzle brake - range testing for dedicated suppressor use brake. 110Gr vmax 's think it ’ d bet if flash was a major concern, most are... A haystack have brakes sorta a must there so many guys have precision chambered. 17 brakes tested on the 308 are always surprises the expanding gases outwards a Savage Axis SR 308 Win know! Shot group what would be an acce... Shootin ’ Okie: thanks for... Into the bolt and can easily be removed by the end-user better performance it ’ d all.! As we learned in the country are running Thread-Over-Muzzle-Brake ( TOMB ) designed for the smaller muzzle brake shroud 300 win mag! Gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and you can comfortably tolerate » ειν Λακεδαιμονίοις „. Include one for comparison on this rifle to group with any ammo have... To try to be honest with you I prefer the Weatherby Accubrake with majority!, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more are pretty.. Symbiotic relationship ” for lack of a whole series of posts related to this muzzle can... I am setting up a Tac build on a lightweight hunting rifle is to add a brake...

San Chez Jobs, Croatian Layer Cake, Kaiser Obgyn Residency, Switching From Lisinopril To Losartan Dose Conversion, Seashore Image Editor, Class 9 Economics Chapter 2 Solutions, Independence Ks Arrests, To Share Synonym, Death The Kid Voice Actor English,